Yarn and WIPS

>> Thursday, April 23, 2009

Surprisingly for me, I finished April's "Put your own twist on it" spin along fiber more than a week from the deadline. The fiber was 100% corriedale in black, eggplant, and lilac. Here's CJ Kopec's picture of the "Midnight Desire" fiber:













I spun it vaguely thick and thin, and tried to make a thicker single than I did last month. The fiber really reminds me of the poem "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes, specifically the opening stanza:

The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees,
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon the cloudy seas.
The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor;
When the
highwayman came riding,
Riding, riding,

The highwayman came riding up to the old in door.


The yarn totally looks like the moor and the night. But what do to with the "road was a ribbon of moonlight" line? Inspiration struck in the form of silver nylon thread. I plyed two singles with a nylon thread and created "Watch For Me by Moonlight":













These pictures were taken before I set the twist - the yarn is even more bouncy and fluffy now. I hope to use it as the yoke for Shannon Okey's Faux Fair Isle raglan sweater. I'm in search of a copy of the pattern to see how many yards are called for. This skein is 121 yards, 2.25 ounces. I don't have the WPI yet. I don't know when I'll get the rest of the fiber spun; probably not until I get the pattern and discover I need more yarn.

I've been knitting steadily on Girasole, although I am hampered at times by the need to concentrate. I can't knit in the car, or with the tv on , or listening to Lime n Violet's podcast because I have to keep utter attention on my stitch count. It looks pretty, though, and I'm on chart D:













Since I knew I was going to spend several hours in the car last weekend (a trip to my family's farm - heaven!!), I printed Knitty's Wisp pattern. I didn't have any lace weight yarn in my stash, so I grabbed some of my (very embarassing) Moonlight Mohair by Lionbrand. It looked soft, and wispy, so I cast on. I wish now that I had split the nice light and dark blue mohair strand from the garish orange and pink manmade strand. Because the mohair is soft and pretty, but the garish strand ruins everything. It looks like cat puke. Here, judge for yourself:












I like the pattern, and the fabric drapes very well, but I don't think this is going to be anything I ever wear. Anyone want a not-so-wispy? I have one more ball of yarn to go and then will be done. Perhaps it will get better once done?

So that's what's going on in my world. What are you spinning/knitting?

3 comments:

Carmen Apr 23, 2009, 11:12:00 AM  

Wonderful to see so many things coming along. Impressive. Congrats on finishing your spinning so far ahead of schedule.

Finding Peace Apr 25, 2009, 7:14:00 PM  

Love the Eggplant color Do you know how many yards you can spin with 4 oz of roving?

Heather Apr 25, 2009, 10:11:00 PM  

RA - 2.25 ounces spun up about 121 yards, so the 4 ounces will probably measure somewhere around 200-230 yards. I am hoping for enough yarn as a yoke of a sweater.

Thanks for the comment!

10kH is here for now. Hush.


Get a Stopwatch like this or make your own! At: Online Stopwatch

  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP