Christmas Knitting

>> Thursday, September 10, 2009


It's that time of year again. Time to think about holiday knitting. It may only be the tenth of September, but for someone who knits as slowly and as infrequently as I do, each fall presents a unique blend of trepidation and joy.

I thought I'd post my Christmas Knitting list here (no one who knows me in real life reads this blog, so I think I'm safe), with Ravelry links where possible. Since this will be primarily a resource for me, I will also post notes about each project. If you have knit any of these, please leave me a comment on how it was for you. I can use any and all help I can get!

I should also make the disclaimer that I am not done my Girasole blanket yet, and it takes first priority. I have 19 rows plus the edging left and I do not want to put it aside when it is so close to being finished. So that comes first. It's not going to be a gift - it's for me - and that's something I can live with.


1. Grammie: Icarus Shawl. I purchased 3 skeins of Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud (colorway Autumn Heather) for this. I still have to buy the pattern ($6 download, or the whole book for $16.47) and a 24" size 3 circular needle. The shawl is simple but large.
11/10 update: Chart 1 done, two repeats of rows 19-42 done.

2. Daddy: Trigger finger mittens. I did a pair last year in acryllic yarn and hated it. This year I have a skein of Peace Fleece wool and will use that to make the mittens. They are very fast to knit up; I just have to DO them.

3. Mom: Maine Morning Mitts. I'll be using Knit Picks Shine Worsted (colorway Hollyberry) for these, as Mom is allergic to wool. This is a cotton/modal fiber. Again, I think these will be quick - I just have to do them. They would be an easy car project.
11/10 update: Finished

4. Bear: Handknit Socks and a Tightly Knit Hat. I started a sock already for Bear, but it has two types of cables and one is complicated, so it's slow going. He suggested I rip back and start again with plain stockinette, so that's what I'll do. I know that it will go much faster to do mindless stockinette and his feet are huge so the socks will take a long time anyway. I'm using Enchanted Knoll Farms sock yarn in a pumpkin, burgundy, and black colorway. The hat will be knit with Peace Fleece worsted (colorway Siberian Midnight) on size 2 needles. 2 is a very small needle for worsted weight, but Bear wants a wind-proof hat, and so I'll create as tight a gauge as possible. We have not discussed if he wants ear flaps or not, or if it will be in stockinette or garter. Ideas?
11/10 update: Hat is finished. Plain hat with Jared Flood's "Turn a Square" decreases. Hat is a bit short. Turns out he wants a finely knit hat (fingering weight yarn) not a tightly knit hat. Tough. He gets what he gets.

5. Tara: Thrummed Mittens. I'll be using handspun BFL from Spunky Eclectic (colorway Nova Scotia) and a natural camel colored alpaca for the thrums. This will be a challenge because I haven't done thrums before, but Tara is worth it. I know these mittens will be super soft and warm!
11/10 update: 2 oz. spun, 2 oz. to go.

6. Mark: I have no idea. Sportweight socks, perhaps? A beanie? I want it to be handspun, but I'm not sure what it will be yet. Ideas?

7. Leigh Anne: pink beanie. I have the yarn (a pink alpaca/acryllic blend) but am debating the type of brim. Ribbed? Garter? Rolled stockinette?
11/10 update: She wants a bright white hat now. Pattern chosen is Irish Moss Toque, yarn will be Knit Picks Shine Worsted.

8. Caitlin - My adorable 6 year-old friend. For her, an elephante. Caitlin has a rare atuo-immune disorder that compromises her immune system so this toy will be stuffed with bamboo fiber since it has antibacterial properties. I don't know how long it will take to knit this, but I have pattern and yarn ready to go.
11/10 update: legs, body, tail done, stuffed and stitched together. Increasing from trunk to head now.

9. Nicholas: As Caitlin's brother, he also deserves a handknit item. I'm thinking a viking beanie. They are too cute for words and I know Leigh Anne (his mom) got a good laugh over them a while back.

10. Dani: My sister-in-law has always struck me as a bulky, cream, horseshoe cable scarf (the Rav link is for a hat, but you get the idea). Bulky weight knits up fast, and I can get it cheaply in the bare colorway from Knit Picks.

11. Thomas: My nephew. For him, a knit giraffe. Giraffes are kind of his thing and since I have plenty of bamboo filling, I'll put that in the giraffe too.

12. John: For this brother, I have *no* idea. I'd love to do something unique, but nothing has surfaced as just the right thing yet. I'll keep my eye out. He's definitely a unique person! It'll have to be something really really different.


Looking at this, I'm noticing this is a huge list. There are 4 months till Christmas, so that means I have to do 3 projects a month including this month. Maybe Girasole won't get finished after all! I will have to cast on at least one easy project this week, and hopefully get it done this weekend. I vote the Maine Morning Mitts will be up first. In this public forum, I'm stating that they will be done by Sunday, September 13, by 10pm.

Wish me luck!! I will post pics when I can.

4 comments:

Fleecenik Farm Sep 10, 2009, 11:27:00 AM  

Good Luck with that list! Seems ambitious. BTW Knitting at my house MOnday Evening. The library is closed for renovations.

Ida Sep 10, 2009, 3:20:00 PM  

This is a great idea. That's quite an impressive list. I'll be anxious to follow your progress.

Opal Sep 10, 2009, 3:46:00 PM  

great list! i know you can do it! go heather! :D

Carmen Oct 5, 2009, 3:56:00 PM  

What a huge list...good luck

10kH is here for now. Hush.


Get a Stopwatch like this or make your own! At: Online Stopwatch

  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP