Spinning Sunday

>> Sunday, December 28, 2008

Phew! This last week has flown by. Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope your holiday was as amazing as mine.

Spinning is a new hobby for me, and so I don't have a lot of equipment. For the first three months I was using a friend's spindle as I didn't have one of my own. My husband has more than remedied this situation with his Christmas gifts to me. I present them for your viewing pleasure (click to embiggen):

Hardware
First, there was a Royal Ball Winder. Now I can make those adorable center-pull balls from my skeins of handspun.

Next was the handmade swift. Made out of birdseye maple, this spins like a dream and has several holes to adjust the distance between the pegs. This may have been a self-serving gift, though, as Hubs HATES to hold skeins while I make balls out of them. I tried the two in conjunction today and they both worked perfectly! I love them.


My friend Rob bought me a present I've wanted for a while - I digital scale. Now I can weigh my fiber, yarn, and spindles and now how much I'm getting! It measures in both ounces and grams and has a plastic tray to keep things where they should be.

Finally in the hardware department were not one, not two, but SEVEN handmade spindles. Four are birdseye maple with hardwood shafts; three are mahogany with oak shafts. The smaller spindles are 2.75" in diameter, the larger are 3.5" in diameter. They are different thicknesses for different weights (they range from 5/8 of an ounce to 1 & 3/8 of an ounce). All top whorl, they are fantastic! I spun and plyed on them and they work GREAT.




Software
Oooh, and it is SOFT! Two four ounce bundles of natural shetland wool. One is a black/white stripe, the other a cream/caramel stripe. The fiber comes from Windswept Farms in Michigan. The owner included some sample fibers from his other sheep, too. I will definitely be ordering from them again! I think the big fiber balls look a little like Ewoks, don't you? I did give in to the urge and spin one of the samples up. I navajo plyed it (my first time!) and wound it with my ball winder. Shetland + light spindle + ball winder = adorable skein of fibery goodness!


At the Christmas party at my second job, my boss got me a basket filled with four skeins of Caron's Eco Soft yarn. This yarn is 80% acrylic, 20% recycled plastic bottles. Included in the yarn were a set of needles and a crochet hook. It was perfect. Thanks Lori!

Not pictured are my Knit Picks Options nickel-plated interchangeable needles. I didn't photograph them because they are already in use. I cannot express how wonderful these needles are. They are the right amount of pointy-ness and have incredibly forgetful cables (they have no memory and so don't get stuck in a particular shape). THANKS BEAR!



What did you get for Christmas?

2 comments:

Yarn Tails Dec 28, 2008, 4:30:00 PM  

You are one lucky gal there! Those spindles are lovely works of art.

Carmen Dec 28, 2008, 8:05:00 PM  

That is some serious score there. Wonderful to see some many toys and tools...and sensing this will not be the last of the collection.

10kH is here for now. Hush.


Get a Stopwatch like this or make your own! At: Online Stopwatch

  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP